
A naive young Englishman travels to Transylvania to do business with a client, Count Dracula. After showing his true and terrifying colors, Dracula boards a ship for England in search of new, fresh blood. Unexplained disasters begin to occur in the streets of London before the mystery and the evil doer are finally put to rest. Told in a series of news reports from eyewitness observers to writers of personal diaries, this has a ring of believability that counterbalances nicely with Dracula's too-macabre-to-be-true exploits. An array of voices from talented actors makes for interesting variety. The generous use of sound effects, from train whistles to creaking doors, adds further atmosphere. Lovers of mysteries and horror will find rousing entertainment in this version of a classic tale.
22 comments:
I thought since everybody had started reading the next book, I'd put a posting up for people to comment on.
There are also some surveys, and an "Average American" quiz on the sidebar that you can take for fun! I'm 81% average!
Travis, you're such a good Book Club Blog Manager! This site is awesome (w/polls, etc.) Thanks for being super rad, dude.
I just got my copy of Dracula from Amazon today! I guess it is time to start reading it!
Melanie and I are listening to it on tape. We have finished 2 of the 12 tapes to put us on Chapter 5. So far it's pretty good. That Count Dracula is pretty creepy, though.
I've finally picked my book Trav. It;s called "Freakonomics." It sounds pretty interesting to me. I hope nobody has read it. IF so, oh well.
Thanks, Angie. I added you to the list. Melanie and I are still liking Dracula... We're at the part where he just barely showed up in England.
Cory and I started Dracula this week. Cory likes it so far. I'm having a hard time getting into it. I'm only on chapter 2. I'll keep trying though. Cory wants to have a month for the book club. He hasn't picked a book yet, but has a few in mind. I think one he's interested in is "MoMo." He'll let everyone know though.
That's awesome! As soon as Cory figures out a book, I'll put him on the list.
I'm with you Angie, if I was actually reading it, I think I would be way bored. But listening to it on tape is much easier. Plus I can do other things while doing it. Three tapes down, 9 to go!
Ok guys, I am more than half way through and it is getting really good now. Brad is actually starting it now too. He's interested in it since I've been telling him all that's happening. It gets pretty intense and freaky (now that's a word I haven't used in awhile:) ) It starts to come together more in the middle of the book. Stay with it Angie and let your imagination soar! We did rent the movie Van Helsing the other day and that also was pretty good. (Brad liked it more than me of course) It was fun to see someone's version of tha Van Helsing and Dracula characters in the book. Anyways, I think it would be fun to listen to on tape at night in the dark. When I'm carting kids to and from activities at night, I keep noticing the sky with the moon behind the clouds and telling my kids "now this is a Dracula night." Why did I wait 30 years to read this book!!!!!---ha ha. Seriously, I'm enjoying it.
I had a slow day at work last night, so I got a lot of reading done. I was really starting to enjoy it, but then chapter 7 came along. A 6 page newspaper article. It was boring. But, thanks Julie. I'll keep reading and slowly make my way through this book. We'll see what happens next.
My copy finally came today! Now I have to power read to catch up to you all!
Have any of you heard of the book "The Historian"? I mentioned that I was reading Dracula to a friend and she said "You've got to read The Historian." It just came out as a paperback and was in the bestseller section at Shopco. It's a modern day story of a family chasing Dracula all around Europe. It looks pretty good. My friend said she couldn't put it down and read it super fast. Our Dracula book isn't too hard to put down for me. I do like it though.
Okay, so now that we are on tape 7, this book is getting really good! I think we're around chapter 13 or 14. It's really creepy and definitely qualifies as a Halloween book. Speaking of, where's Ted? This was his Halloween book right?
Was the "speaking of creepy" a reference to me or the book? :) I am still here. Jenni and I are waiting to get the book on CD from the library. Our book is a little to small to read.
I have listened to the tapes before. Parts of the book definately gave me chills. But it is an excellent book. Very good story telling.
This book club is going great. What about starting a movie of the month club?
Melanie and I have 3 more tapes to go. I thought that it really started picking up about half-way through the book.
I keep meaning to add Cory to the schedule, but I keep forgetting. I'll try to add him tonight.
A movie club sounds like a fun idea. I have no idea what movie I'd pick, but I could probably think of a few that Melanie won't watch with me. Let us know the URL if you start it up!
What ever you do, don't pick "The New Guy" for a movie. Ha. That joke was for Travis and Melanie.
I finished Dracula! It was pretty good. At first it was a little boring, but I took Julie's advise and stuck with it. It got pretty freaky towards the middle, and the end was good. All in all, I was pleasantly suprised by this book. I really enjoyed it, even though I did have nightmares one night. That was the night I tried watching Van Helsing. I didn't even finish the movie because I was kind of scared. Oh well. Good choice Ted.
We haven't finished yet! Blake got a hold of Tape #10 and completely ruined it! And it was the library's copy too.... Oh well. The library has a couple more copies. We'll have to go check out another set.
I'm working on it, and it's hard! I keep falling asleep while reading.. oops! I really want to get to the good part everyone's always talking about.
Meanwhile, I've got next month's book and am ready for that to start too..
Yeah!!! I've just finished Dracula!!!!! Man, it took a while.
Post a Comment