Thursday, January 04, 2007

January Book

Anna was genetically engineered to be a perfect match for her cancer-ridden older sister. Since birth, the 13-year-old has donated platelets, blood, her umbilical cord, and bone marrow as part of her family's struggle to lengthen Kate's life. Anna is now being considered as a kidney donor in a last-ditch attempt to save her 16-year-old sister. As this compelling story opens, Anna has hired a lawyer to represent her in a medical emancipation suit to allow her to have control over her own body. Picoult skillfully relates the ensuing drama from the points of view of the parents; Anna; Cambell, the self-absorbed lawyer; Julia, the court-appointed guardian ad litem; and Jesse, the troubled oldest child in the family.

13 comments:

Erica said...

Ooh, I LOVE this book! It is SO good!

Jonathan said...

This looks kind of sad if you ask mwa.

Travis said...

You're right, dude! Definitely sad. It sounds interesting but definitely sad.

Erica said...

sad, but GOOD!

Melanie said...

It is a really interesting read. You should definitely read it.

Jordan said...

I have to read The Scarlet Letter now, so I might skip this one, but I will finish the Chrstmas Carol.

Melanie said...

Oooh, I loved the Scarlet Letter.

Travis said...

I haven't even started "Christmas Carol", and I never even finished "Dracula". How lame am I? I'm going to try to read this one though.

Laura Lee said...

This book is really worth reading! Put the other books down and read this! It is soooo interesting and totally sucks you in to the story! I really liked it.

Angela said...

I'm reading something else right now. but, as soon as I'm done, I'm totally reading this one. I'm so looking forward to it. I think it looks really good. I haven't even started A Christmas Carol yet either. I was pretty busy in December and didn't get much reading done.

Travis said...

I've read about 4 chapters. I had to stop after 2 and for a little while because it was depressing.

Anonymous said...

Jordan picked this book up on tape for me at the library. I've been listening to it here and there. But after reading Dracula I've been reading "The Historian". It is an awsome modern day search for Dracula. Much more fast paced and exciting than Bram Stokers. ( We did enjoy that one too though. Brad wants to comment more on that book)"The Historian" goes all over Europe searching for Dracula and it's hard to put down. I'd definitely recommend it. It's also fun to read right after Bram Stoker's because it refers to that book often.

Travis said...

I finished this book. It was pretty good, though the first few chapters were definitely killer sad. I think I'm going to try to finish Dracula and read this month's book at the same time.