Friday, June 30, 2006

Book Club Rules



OK.... I've been thinking the last couple of weeks about how this book club thing would work. And I'm still not sure what the best answer is, but here is what I've been thinking --

1) Every month one person from the group chooses a book to read. I can post a schedule of some sorts on the sidebar.

2) At the beginning of every month, I'll post a blog on what the book-of-the-month is, and during the month, as people read the book, they can post whether they liked it or not, or any other comments they want.

3) Try to keep the books PG or at least PG-13. Also no excessively long books -- ie Moby Dick. And no excessively boring books -- ie Economics.

4) If there's a book that you really, really don't want to read. Try to at least give it a chance, but you don't have to feel forced, either. My main point for doing this to try to read more books -- and to expand on the type of books I normally read.

So -- if anyone still feels like joining, please comment on this blog with the title of the book that you want to read. I'll come up with a schedule, and we'll plan on starting on September 1st.

Oh... and if you have any other suggestions about how to organize things, feel free to comment on that too.

27 comments:

Laura Lee said...

"Can't Wait to Get to Heaven" by Fannie Flagg

Laura Lee said...

You forgot to say Best.Bookclub.Ever

Erica said...

I'm in. I'll have to think of a book title now. Sounds fun though.

Unknown said...

Sounds good to me. I will see if I can fit a book in my loads of spare time.

Erica said...

Okay, I've been thinking about some book titles and I've come up with some good ideas. How about The Work and the Glory? Those books are so good. Or maybe we could just read classics and have someone pre-read them to make sure there isn't any bad stuff in the books for everyone else.. That sounds good..

Travis said...

Ha ha ha --blech!

1) OK, Foolio! Keep in mind that some of my younger cousins may want to join and that is why there is a PG-13 rule. And ..... you don't have to pre-read anything, Whiney, you should be able to tell whether it is age-appropriate from the summary.

2) I never said that you only have to read classics. In fact, I'd really like to have a mixture of classics and not-classics.

3) I've read The Work and the Glory and it's actually a pretty good series. If someone wants to post that, feel welcome.

Erica said...

Haha, sorry Travis - I was just making fun of my mom's book club losers who think every book ever written that's not sold at Deseret Books is inappropriate. I don't really believe anything that I wrote. Haha. Sorry again.

Travis said...

Ha ha.... oh yeah, forgot about that. At least, you gave me an excuse to use the word -- Foolio. I stole that from our friends, the Van Camps.

Travis said...

PS -- I think that I'm going to choose the book, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Maybe we can read that one over Halloween.

Unknown said...

What about Bram Stokers Dracula for halloween?

Erica said...

I want to read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Laura Lee said...

Here's another title.

"The Average American: The Extraordinary Search for the Nation's Most Ordinary Citizen" by Kevin O'Keefe

Erica said...

Ooh, yeah, I want to read that one.

Travis said...

I really liked "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". It's an interesting read.

I'm also open to reading "Dracula". But if Ted wants to read that, than I'll change mine to something else.

Travis said...

It still needs to be pretty-ified. But look at the schedule at the top of the blog.

Make sure that I have you down for the book that you want to read.

Krista said...

Okay, I think I want to read The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards. I heard from a friend it was good, but I don't know what the rating will be like. I hate picking books that no one I really know has read because you just never know!! Has anyone heard of this one?

Jordan said...

I want to join. I think we should read The Robe. My mom started reading it out loud but we haven't got very far.

I like the Dracula idea. I started reading it last year but never finished. Hopefully this club will get me more motivated.

Travis said...

Awesome, Awesome! I'll add you guys to the calendar.

I was thinking that a good December book would be Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol". It's appropriate for the holidays, and best of all, it's short. Plus, I've seen the movies, but never actually read it.

Travis said...

UPDATE -- the last graphic with that little circle-man thing was starting to creep me out.

So I went changed it to the cool guy holding a library card with Chinese in the background. Now we're really cool.

Erica said...

Hey Travis - I think the schedule looks great.. except that you spelled my mom's name wrong...

Travis said...

Fixed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Travis- this sounds fun- I got the September book and we'll start at it! We need all the extra time we can get! These guys are swamped with homework. Anyway, I have to say that The Robe is one of our all time favorite books. I've read it at least four times. Brad has too. Brad's Dad had a really old copy that is falling apart and we paid a lot to get our own hardback copy. Now you can buy used ones at Amazon for cheap- Anyway, I finally talked Jordan into reading it and he liked it so much that he's talked me into reading it out loud with the whole family. This will be a lot of fun- can't wait to hear the results of your ultrasound- CONGRATULATIONS by the way!

Travis said...

Thanks, Julie. I'm really looking forward to reading "The Robe". I'd never even heard of it before Jordan suggested it. Sounds like a good one.

Melanie said...

These books all sound pretty good. I've been waiting to read the Average American for quite awhile. We've just got to buy a copy.

I am also looking forward to Krista's book, I think it will be good. Now I just have to decide what my book will be. I'll keep ya posted.

Laura Lee said...

Krista--both me and my friend independently bought that book for our book club to read. The jacket and the synopsis on the back totally sucked us in! I think it would be really good! I had just told Melanie all about it last week!

jenni the artist said...

Hey how bout The Giver by Lois Lowry.

Melanie said...

We listened to the giver on tape when we were driving from Utah one year. Then I recently read it for my other book club in the ward. It's a good one.